Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I think I can, I think I can...

There are two methods I have used to move through the collection. The first is to tackle a chunk of the nonfiction at a time... I did all the 600's last weekend. it is easy to grab all the dog books for example (nonfiction only) and create labels for them. Wanda likes this because when I pass the bucket of books and their labels to her, she can easily change the call number with copy and paste. the challenge is that we are fully functioning so I never really get all the books in a section... The other method is to grab books off the cart and re-cataloging them individually. Wanda does not like this method as much because ever book is a new and different call number.

I am moving through quite quickly... 50-100 books a day.

The greater challenge, I suspect, will be the picture and biography books which are, of course, arranged by author... I am still a bit unclear bout categories X, Y, and Z. X is picture books, I think, and maybe only the ones which do not inherently land in the other METIS sections. Babar to elephants? Curious George to monkeys, Olivia to pigs? I keep asking myself where would a child look for this book? Our picture book collection has always been under-appreciated so my creativity will be challenged!

When in doubt, I will cheat and take a peek at the Ethical Culture schools catalog. It has been so rewarding to have my intuition supported and reinforced by the cataloging choices made by those librarians!

BTW, this picture has nothing to do with this post-- we were just talking about the actual length of a saltwater crocodile.