Wednesday, January 30, 2013

500 GIVE OR TAKE

I had a block of time and decided to grab a globe, atlas and curriculum (great way to make decisions about how teachers will find books-- not so sure about students)... and tackle the 900's. I categorized over 500 books! It turned out to be less daunting than I expected. The trickiest part was the designations of Native Americans by geographic area... not always easily distinguishable by name.

Pueblo = L NAT.AM. SOUTHWEST
Abenaki = L NAT.AM. NORTHEAST
Organizationally, creating the labels for 30 books at a time, (Avery 5160, 3 across 10 down) plunking them in a bucket (I use dish tubs!) and lining them up for cataloging has been a manageable system.

I also like the second step after I have decided what the new Metis label will read and printing it, of putting Metis Call Number, color label and big 3-4 inch tape over the kaboodle. It's a great job for my volunteers!

Students have shared in the excitement each week to see my progress-- having now finished the numbers, I am about to tackle the Picture books, saving Memoir and Fiction for last. Why? space, mostly. I am trying to move books around as little as possible.


A happy epilogue: a teacher was poking around when I came in to the room today and I asked her if she needed help-- she was busy using the catalog and rubbing her head alot-- I could see her thinking but let her go, trusting the intuitive nature of this new design, when two minutes later she came striding over to the circulation desk glowing with satisfaction. Not only had she found what she was looking for but a few bonus titles as well! Yay!