Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Plugging away...

We have only tackled a few sections at this point... B - Machines ("I want a truck book" now results in a finger point to the B Buckets. The folks doing circulation are poised to snatch stragglers-- this has become a cumbersome part of the project: we batch process large numbers initially, and are now dealing with dribble of books each needing individual processing.

Some distinctions have been tricky-- "Military" Dogs with a tank on the cover-- B for Machines? K for Community Helpers?? Animal Books??? Every person I asked (Principal, Art teacher, child, Library assistant) gave me a different answer. Herein lies the challenge and the excitement: It doesn't matter! I need to see this system through the lens of my students and wherever we decide, the book will be accessible through the catalog.