Sunday, November 25, 2012

Movement

I was reminded today of my first years as a librarian and how I spent so many Saturdays moving things around to make them more accessible for my young patrons. This mornings adventures included beginning the alphabetization by METIS category, and creating a wall for the folks who work in the library, for teachers, and older students to begin to see the big picture. It will serve as quick reference and a guide organizationally for our progress.

I suspect that over the next few months as I assure buy-in, I will have support and understanding when large shifts are made. Worried resisters of change will ask, "But what about the military dog book with the tank on the cover???"and I am sweetly replying "Let's ask the kids".

For now, I need road maps, bookmarks or signage to help my volunteers put things away, and easily identifiable markers to point to ("Scary? See the big 'U'?").

Organizationally, based on the current arrangement of the room, I have decided to work from now on primarily alphabetically. I will be initially pulling form the Non Fiction and will blend in Picture books as I get to them.

Done? A CONCEPTS, B MACHINES, C SCIENCE (almost), O TRADITIONS, P TALES, Q VERSE, U SCARY.

Next? D NATURE. For the record, I never turn away volunteers and if you want to be a part of this effort, jump in.


METIS CATOGORIES

A FACTS
B MACHINES
C SCIENCE
D NATURE
E ANIMALS
F PETS
G MAKING STUFF
H ARTS
I SPORTS
J OURSELVES
K COMMUNITY
L USA
M COUNTRIES
N LANGUAGES
O TRADITIONS
P TALES
Q VERSE
R HUMOR
S MYSTERY
T ADVENTURE
U SCARY
V GRAPHIC
W MEMOIR
X PICTURE STORIES
Y BEGINNING FICTION
Z TRICKIER FICTION